I’m not going to write a lengthy review of Ryan Adams’ fantastic new album Prisoner, I’m just going to share some quick thoughts.
- Ryan Adams isn’t quite the songwriter that he used to be. I think he reached his poetic pinnacle at Cold Roses. The lyrics aren’t terrible, but there’s some cheesiness and cliche that aren’t found on some of his earlier albums.
- Musically, however, he’s the best he’s ever been and I think that’s what carries this album. The alt country days are far behind him. This album is more an ode to The Replacements and Tom Petty than to Willie and Waylon.
- Everyone see’s this as a comeback album, but common the last album was nearly as good.
- This is a solid record by a prolific musician.
- Listen to it.
- These got shorter as my list grew.
- Love, Zach